Dance is a fun past-time but not necessarily the first thing people think of when they set out to lose weight and get fit. Getting stronger, slimmer, and more coordinated happens in the gym, right? Yes, and more. We are excited to host Zumba fitness classes in our Sterling, VA medical spa and wellness center. Here, we want to discuss what Zumba is and why it is an excellent workout for just about anyone.
What is Zumba?
Zumba is a dance fitness program that was developed back in the 1990s. That’s a long time ago, folks! And yet, this mixture of dance and aerobics is still going strong today. In fact, statistics show that more than 15 million people in over 175 countries practice Zumba as a fun and engaging way to stay active and healthy. The average Zumba class is about an hour long and is conducted by a trained Zumba professional. Throughout the hour-long dance-fest, participants can expect to transition through slow and fast dance moves that have elements of resistance training.
Details to Know
- Zumba is a medium-level interval workout. Because classes move between low and high-intensity moves intended to boost heart rate, participants can find the pace that works perfectly for them.
- This full-body workout targets the legs, arms, buttocks, back, and core with fun, energetic movement.
- Participating in Zumba classes, people gain cardio endurance, flexibility, and strength.
- Classes are low impact and do not require any special equipment.
- Zumba is excellent for beginners and advanced levels of fitness.
- Indoor classes are great for all kinds of weather.
Burn Calories the Fun Way
One of the reasons that Zumba is so effective at improving health and fitness is that this workout method combines aerobic exercise with mild resistance training. Movements fluctuate from controlled to rapid, high-intensity activity that sets the metabolism into high-gear without the risks of muscle strain associated with weight-lifting. According to studies, people who Zumba can burn from 300 to 600 calories in a single class. Beginners may be at the lower end but increase caloric burn as they learn the Zumba moves and develop their personal workout intensity.
A new year is upon us and that has many people considering giving the gym one more try. Why not skip the monotony of the average workout and see what Zumba can do for you? Call 703-444-2800 to sign up for our next Zumba class.