How Much Filler Do I Need?
- Posted on: Sep 23 2019
In recent years, the number of noninvasive treatments conducted has continually increased. The more we see the safety and efficacy of treatments like dermal fillers, the more we want to use them. If you are considering scheduling your dermal filler treatment, you may have a few questions. One that we highly suggest you ask any provider you consult with is how many syringes of filler you might need to get the results you want.
Before you can begin to know how much filler you will need, you must consider what it is you want to accomplish. Even the most experienced injector will leave you feeling dissatisfied if they only give you 1 syringe of a product when you need 2 or 3. In general, it is said that most people receive satisfactory improvement with 1 or 2 syringes. However, there are factors that affect this.
Know Before You Go
- Determine the degree of enhancement you want to achieve. Is it slight, moderate, or significant?
- Your age may determine how much facial volume you have lost. The more volume you have lost, the more filler you will need. Some say to estimate 1 syringe for each decade of life for full facial rejuvenation.
- The amount of fat you have may affect how much filler you need. This is because naturally thin people may have less facial volume.
- Your skin tone may also affect how much filler you need. Loose, sagging skin cannot be tightened with dermal fillers; only the tissue beneath the skin gains volume. When the face has become deflated, more filler may be necessary.
- You may not need dermal fillers at all! Depending on the concerns you have, you may be better served by Botox to smooth lines or by some type of skin resurfacing to enhance collagen production.
How Much Dermal Filler is In 1 Syringe?
Another aspect of knowing how much filler you may need is the amount of filler in each syringe. Most products are made with hyaluronic acid. The way this type of filler works is by binding to water molecules. Each hyaluronic acid particle in a dermal filler tethers itself to multiple water molecules. This means that relatively little filler is needed in many situations. Each syringe of hyaluronic acid dermal filler contains approximately 1/5 of a teaspoon of active product. It takes five syringes to make a full teaspoon. However, that doesn’t mean you need five syringes to improve volume by a full teaspoon, remembering that each particle of filler binds to numerous water molecules.
The best way to know exactly how much filler you need is to consult with an experienced injector. We’d be happy to see you in our Sterling, VA medspa! To schedule your consultation, call 703 444 2800.
Posted in: Botox & Fillers